Have a Heart Bursary Program
The Have a Heart Bursary Program, now in its 22nd year, continues to be an extremely successful and valued program.
Each year, the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy (CCSA) funds a number of promising Canadian medical students, graduates, post-graduate trainees, and basic scientists-in-training to attend the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress (CCC).
CCSA Bursaries in Action
Click here to see past recipients or watch these video testimonials from some of the 2021 bursary recipients.
Who can apply?
This bursary program is sponsored by the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy, a charitable organization created in 2000 by the Canadian Cardiovascular Society (CCS). The CCSA’s mandate is to support education, research, scholarships and bursaries for medical students and prospective cardiovascular specialists.
The Have a Heart Bursary Program is designed for promising young Canadian medical students, post-graduate medical trainees not yet in a cardiovascular residency program, and graduate students in the cardiovascular sciences (clinical and basic sciences) to encourage a strong Canadian cardiovascular community. Applicants should be committed to a future career in Canada. Those already established in a cardiovascular residency program or post PhD are not eligible to apply.
Bursary awardees are invited to learn more about their future through participation in the annual Canadian Cardiovascular Congress. The CCC is the largest gathering of cardiovascular health professionals in Canada. The CCC draws physicians, researchers, trainees, medical students and other cardiovascular professionals from across Canada and around the globe.
What do awardees receive?
- Roundtrip air or ground travel to Ottawa, ON to attend the CCC, October 27-30, 2022;
- Up to four nights hotel accommodation in Ottawa, from Wednesday, October 26 to Sunday, October 30, 2022;
- Complimentary registration to the CCC 2022, which includes full access to all education sessions, the largest Canadian cardiovascular exhibition, industry sponsored accredited symposia, the opportunity to meet colleagues from across Canada, and much more;
- A unique opportunity to meet with Canadian leaders in the field.
How can I apply?
A complete application must include:
- A letter explaining your career goals in Canada and how this bursary will further your career (maximum two pages)
- A letter of support from your supervisor or director of your training program
- A second letter of reference (preferably from a CCS Member other than your director/supervisor)
- An abbreviated copy of your curriculum vitae (maximum two pages).
NOTE: An Abstract is not required to apply to the HHB program.
Submission Deadline for the Have a Heart Bursary: May 4, 2022, at 12 noon EDT
When you click “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the CCC2022 submission site where you will be required to login with your MY.CCS.ca account information.
If you do not already have a CCS account, click on “New Users” to begin your application.
Once logged in, select “Click here to begin a new submission”. Enter “Submission Title” and follow the directions on the next page remembering to “Save Submissions” as you proceed. Once you have completed and submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email indicating that your submission is complete. You may make any changes to your application until the deadline
For questions, contact:
Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy
150 Elgin Street, Suite 1000
Ottawa, ON K2P 1L4
1-877-569-3407 Ext. 402