Have a Heart Bursary Program
The Have a Heart Bursary Program, now in its 22nd year, continues to be an extremely successful and valued program.
Each year, the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy (CCSA) funds a number of promising Canadian medical students, graduates, post-graduate trainees, and basic scientists-in-training to attend the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress (CCC).
The call for submissions for the 2023 Have a Heart Bursary program will be open from February 23, 2023 to May 2, 2023.
“I am very fortunate to have attended CCC 2022 as one of the HAH bursary recipients, it was an amazing
experience. I not only learned a lot but connected with like-minded peers and potential mentors. This
experience has helped further solidify my interest in Cardiology. I hope to get more involved with the CCS
as a trainee and attend CCC again in the future.”
– Raumil Patel, HHB 2022 Recipient
CCSA Bursaries in Action
Past Recipients – Click here to see past recipients of the Have a Heart Bursary.
Video Testimonials – Watch these video testimonials from some of our past bursary recipients. You can find additional videos here.
Who can apply?
This bursary program is sponsored by the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy, a charitable organization created in 2000 by the Canadian Cardiovascular Society (CCS). The CCSA’s mandate is to support education, research, scholarships and bursaries for medical students and prospective cardiovascular specialists.
The Have a Heart Bursary Program is designed for promising young Canadian medical students, post-graduate medical trainees not yet in a cardiovascular residency program, and graduate students in the cardiovascular sciences (clinical and basic sciences) to encourage a strong Canadian cardiovascular community. Applicants should be committed to a future career in Canada. Those already established in a cardiovascular residency program or post PhD are not eligible to apply.
Bursary awardees are invited to learn more about their future through participation in the annual Canadian Cardiovascular Congress. The CCC is the largest gathering of cardiovascular health professionals in Canada. The CCC draws physicians, researchers, trainees, medical students and other cardiovascular professionals from across Canada and around the globe.
What do awardees receive?
- Roundtrip air or ground travel to Montreal, QC to attend Vascular 2023, October 25-29, 2023;
- Up to four nights hotel accommodation in Montreal, from Wednesday, October 25 to Sunday, October 29, 2023;
- Complimentary registration to Vascular 2023, which includes full access to all education sessions, the largest Canadian cardiovascular exhibition, industry sponsored accredited symposia, the opportunity to meet colleagues from across Canada, and much more;
- A unique opportunity to meet with Canadian leaders in the field.
How can I apply?
A complete application must include:
- A letter explaining your career goals in Canada and how this bursary will further your career (maximum two pages)
- A letter of support from your supervisor or director of your training program
- A second letter of reference (preferably from a CCS Member other than your director/supervisor)
- An abbreviated copy of your curriculum vitae (maximum two pages).
NOTE: An Abstract is not required to apply to the HHB program.
The call for submissions for the Have a Heart Bursary wll be open from February 23, 2023 to May 2, 2023.
For questions, contact:
Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy
150 Elgin Street, Suite 1000
Ottawa, ON K2P 1L4
1-877-569-3407 Ext. 402