Have a Heart Bursary Program
The Have a Heart Bursary Program, now in its 22nd year, continues to be an extremely successful and valued program.
Each year, the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy (CCSA) funds a number of promising Canadian medical students, graduates, post-graduate trainees, and basic scientists-in-training to attend the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress (CCC).
The call for submissions for the 2024 Have a Heart Bursary program is now open. The submission deadline is May 7, 2024.
Congratulations to the 2023 Recipients
CCSA Bursaries in Action
Past Recipients – Click here to see past recipients of the Have a Heart Bursary.
Video Testimonials – Watch these video testimonials from some of our past bursary recipients.
Who can apply?
This bursary program is sponsored by the Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy, a charitable organization created in 2000 by the Canadian Cardiovascular Society (CCS). The CCSA’s mandate is to support education, research, scholarships and bursaries for medical students and prospective cardiovascular specialists.
The Have a Heart Bursary Program is designed for promising young Canadian medical students, post-graduate medical trainees not yet in a cardiovascular residency program, and graduate students in the cardiovascular sciences (clinical and basic sciences) to encourage a strong Canadian cardiovascular community. Applicants should be committed to a future career in Canada. Those already established in a cardiovascular residency program or post PhD are not eligible to apply.
Bursary awardees are invited to learn more about their future through participation in the annual Canadian Cardiovascular Congress. The CCC is the largest gathering of cardiovascular health professionals in Canada. The CCC draws physicians, researchers, trainees, medical students and other cardiovascular professionals from across Canada and around the globe.
What do awardees receive?
- Roundtrip air or ground travel to Vancouver, BC to attend CCC 2024, October 23-27, 2024;
- Up to four nights hotel accommodation in Vancouver, from Wednesday, October 23 to Sunday, October 27, 2024;
- Complimentary registration to CCC 2024, which includes full access to all education sessions, the largest Canadian cardiovascular exhibition, industry sponsored accredited symposia, the opportunity to meet colleagues from across Canada, and much more;
- A unique opportunity to meet with Canadian leaders in the field.
How can I apply?
A complete application must include:
- A letter explaining your career goals in Canada and how this bursary will further your career (maximum two pages)
- A letter of support from your supervisor or director of your training program
- A second letter of reference (preferably from a CCS Member other than your director/supervisor)
- An abbreviated copy of your curriculum vitae (maximum two pages).
NOTE: An Abstract is not required to apply to the HHB program.
For questions, contact:
Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy